In this most critical and uncertain of times, every hospitality business will be scrambling to adjust their model to remain functional. The COVID-19 crisis will continue to impact on cafes, restaurants and takeaway businesses for months and years to come.
While this should not be the time for the ‘hard sell’ on the part of hospitality tech suppliers, it is worth keeping in mind some of the technology options that could be very useful as you refine your operation over the coming days:
- Check with your POS provider to see what functions of your current point of sale system can be changed to make managing takeaway and delivery orders easier
- Utilise electronic ‘Order Number Display’ screens to help improve customer communication while enabling appropriate ‘social distancing’
- Kitchen Video Display systems allow meals and coffees that need to be produced to be viewed easily by kitchen staff and baristas, improving efficiency
- A turn-key online store can allow customers to order directly from you (rather than through an expensive delivery service) – especially useful if it integrates directly with your POS
- Electronic menu screens can also be useful if your food menu needs adapting on a daily basis due to supply issues or cost price fluctuations
The disruption that the hospitality industry will feel from this situation has the potential to be devastating but hopefully, through astute management and adaptive thinking, many businesses will be able to stay afloat and even enhance their processes to see the other side.